Monday, January 29, 2007

Phonics


I taught sixth grade for two years, and I now homeschool two of my children. May I recommend teaching children phonics when they are learning to read. It eliminates memorizing words, and a lot of hard work. There are different phonics programs available, but all are not equal. some teach a little bit of phonics but still leave a lot of guess work for the children. I personally like the phonics program available from A Beka Books. It is a step by step program with that makes reading simple. It leaves a child with very little guess work when it comes to reading.
(After you click on the above link, log in as a guest. After logging in as a guest, type "phonics" in the "category" box and click "Go.")
Phonics also helps children spell better. My kids can spell some words already even though I have not taught them how to spell yet because they can sound out the word. Give phonics a try. It really works.

No comments: