Friday, January 12, 2007

The Big Jim Heater


We live in a southern state where it gets cold enough in the winter to snow occasionally, and it also gets cold enough to keep your heater running a race with last months gas bill. We are very blessed to have a wood burning fire place. My husband's grandparents had an wood stove insert that they were not using any more and gave it to us. We use this most days as our source for heating the house. Of course it takes work to cut wood, but it is a lot cheaper than a gas bill. Also, there is nothing quite as warm as wood heat. We absolutely love it.

So, if you live in an area that gets pretty cold and you have a wood burning fire place, do an internet engine search for wood stove inserts or even check out Lowe's.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are the dimensions of your big jim heater?

Shoshannah said...

If you measure the width where the gold is at the back top of the heater against the brick, it is 44 inches wide and 32.5 inches tall. When you open the door, the opening is 19 inches wide and 11 inches tall. My husband fits 18 inch logs in there.

dnay said...

Just bought a house that has a Big Jim heater/stove very similar to the one you show - would love to get some information on the blower units - any ideas??

Shoshannah said...

Are your blower units not working, or do you need replacements?

llinda932 said...

I too bought a house with the Big Jim fireplace insert exactly like the picture. Do you use an additional wood grate inside the insert or just place your wood on the floor of the insert using only the grated floor? I've been unable to find any type manual for the Big Jim.

Shoshannah said...

Hey Everyone,
I am the one who wrote the original post for this blog, but I can't remember my password to get into this blog.
So, here are some of my answers on the Big Jim.
1. Our blowers are getting a little weak from age, so we are going to have them replaced one day.
2. We just place our wood on the original floor grate of the heater, and it works fine.
3. We do have the manual for the Big Jim wood stove. I think my husband might be scanning it so we can upload to the computer. I'll put up a link if that gets accomplished.

4. Here's a site that lists wood stove dealers by state. Maybe they can answer other questions that anyone has. http://www.stovedealersusa.com/northcarolinawoodpelletstove.htm

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Any luck getting the manual scanned? I sure would appreciate a copy!

Shoshannah said...

Let me put a little more pressure on my husband :) I'll post a comment up here when he gets it scanned.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.